now tweeting

 

Tuesday 13 October 2015

Return to the stamping ground

I was horrified to realise it was more than a year since I updated this blog.  I've not been out and about taking pictures as often as before for a variety of reasons but this weekend I charged up the camera and headed down to Colaba.

It took a bit of time to get back into the swing of things but, I'm glad to report, Mumbai is still as photogenic as ever.


Colaba Causway, home to stalls selling all kinds of touristic and fashion items.  I seldom buy but there are very few times I wander through here without seeing something I want to photograph.  In this case; wooden fabric stamps.

8 comments:

Hiro said...

Hi Anne.
Glad to hear you start photographing.
Taking pictures sometimes makes me calm down.

Are those wooden stamps for actual dyeing fabrics, or just for ornaments for tourist?

amasc aka Anne said...

Hi Hiro
I'm glad to be back taking pictures again too. I find it relaxing and frustrating in equal measures. The blocks, they are used for printing fabrics, these look new but would certainly be useable, they have the handle on the back to make contact with the fabric. Some of the designs, the little skulls for example, look like they have been made for the tourist trade. Others are more traditional.

http://www.taarik.co/india/

magiceye said...

Great to see you back with your perspective of Mumbai!!

amasc said...

Thanks, it's great to be back, I've missed taking pictures.

Chuzai Living said...

Thank you for writing about this!! I have been wanting to go find woodblocks for woodblock prints. These are awesome!! So you said it's in Colaba? I will have to go!!! Is the link you posted in the comment about the shop?

Chuzai Living said...

Would you mind telling me where this ship is located? I would love to go there!

amasc aka Anne said...

It's one of the stalls on Colaba Causeway which are set up all along the road. If I remember correctly it is quite close to Leopold's. I'll be interested to see what you do with them.

Anne said...

The link isn't about the shop, it was just for information for Hiro.